Thursday, September 11, 2008

1 Week Pre-Op!

Well, today is officially one week before my surgery, and I decided it is time to get this thing rollin! I suppose I should tell my story, because I know even most of my friends probably dont know the story of Jamie's mouth!
I had my first phase of orthodontic treatment in the 3rd grade. This phase consisted of 1 year of braces to position my teeth in semi normal placement! After my one year of braces my parents were informed phase two would be surgery. This was not a go at that time in my life, plus we would have had to wait until I had finished growing. So, a little over 2 years ago I was at the dentist and they had mentioned some wear on my lower front teeth. This was due to the fact that as I grew my lower teeth remained behind my top teeth and simply began to bend backwards to allow them to remain behind my upper teeth. My upper teeth were wearing the top front of my teeth off... That was no good! So, they suggested braces!
I began orthodontic treatment shortly after where we were once again informed of the necessary surgery to correct my underbite. So, we began to work toward the inevitable! I have had my braces on for two years now, and finally in 1 week I will have my long awaited for surgery!
The OS (orthopedic surgeon) will cut through my lower jaw in two places and move it back, and cut my entire top jaw off of my face and pull it forward where they will both be bolted back together and stabilized! This procedure will, as Im sure you have guessed, be quite the ordeal! I will be rubber banded closed for 1-2 weeks, and procede on my non chewing semi liquid diet for 8 weeks!
I will be posting pictures of all kinds on here! Pre op pictures, so that you will all be able to view the progress, as well as hopefully, pictures of the actual procedure, and naturally post op pictures are a must!
So, this will be my window to the outside world for awhile, so leave me comments and feel free to ask any questions that you would like! I will give you all as much information as possible!

2 comments:

laura said...

I have one question... how will you be taking your pain meds with your mouth rubber-banded shut??? Ouch!!

Jamie said...

Well, I have liquid meds... I am taking basically tylenol with codeine... and I put it in a serynge (spelling?) with a really long skinny tube thing on it and slide the tube in behind my back teeth, and squirt away! :) But, my nerves will all be in shock and so I will be numb for 2-6 months, so pain is not really the issue its more the pressure from swelling in my sinus'... This is what I have heard at least... we shall see!